ACL Diary Chapter 3

ACL Diary
At Xiros, we want to create faster healing and better outcomes for the patients of tomorrow.  One of the foundations to do that is to understand the experience that patients have today.  In our new blog series, Sally, a student at a south England University, shares her progress recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury. Follow her experiences from initial injury, through treatment and rehabilitation, to her return to activity.
Please note that Xiros/Neoligaments products were not used in the treatment of this patient, and names have been changed throughout to maintain patient anonymity.
Chapter 3: Surgery
Following two knee injuries whilst competing and training, Sally’s knee collapsed again during an intense practice in late March 2018.  Following her diagnosis, here she describes her experience of surgery.
The looming surgery day finally arrived, and since we don’t live close to the hospital, my mum and I stayed at my grandparents ready for a very early morning start. Before the surgery I wasn’t allowed to eat for 8 hours or drink for 4, so I set my alarm for 4am so I could brush my teeth for the last time!
Both quite anxious, we didn’t get much sleep. When I got to the hospital it all became very real as I was given my gown and wheeled down the hallway to get my general anaesthetic. This was my first time, so I had no idea what to expect; I am not the biggest fan of needles, so I wasn’t really looking forward to it! However, the doctor soon let me know that he had big buff rugby players who regularly squealed at the needle incision; this was so funny and put me immediately at ease! As the tingly anaesthetic ran up my arm, I began to count to 100: I think I got to 93….
I cannot remember waking up for the first time, but apparently, I fell straight back to sleep. My first memory was being in a recovery room with about six other patients, with a nurse chatting to me and asking questions to make sure I was compos mentis. I was in a lot of pain so was given a beaker full of meds!
To stop DVT, my operated leg was put in a large brace and encased in ice, and I had a compression pump on both my ankles to aid circulation; I could not move it. I was soon wheeled out of recovery and into my room, where my Mum was waiting.
Chapter 4: Post Surgery and Rehabilitation coming soon.